28 July, 2021

15% off your first order from Pet Hemp Company with code: PETCBD

Can My Dog Eat Mushrooms_

Can My Dog Eat Mushrooms

Can My Dog Eat Mushrooms

Mushrooms are tasty, chewy, and… good for dogs? Can dogs eat mushrooms? You love cooking with them, so you have probably been tempted to share these edible fungi with your canine companion.

Even though dogs don’t necessarily require vegetables in their diet, incorporating a few greens into your dog’s meals can benefit their health. Giving your pup a nice, healthy treat from time to time can not only spice up their mealtimes, but also provide them with a boost of nutrition that’s essential for growth. 

Mushrooms, although not technically classified as vegetables, are nutrient-rich and can provide benefits for dogs.

Quick Answer:

Depends on the type of shroom. 

Currently, there are more than 10,000 documented types of mushrooms. Each mushroom has a unique appearance and traits. Not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, but the challenge lies in classifying which ones are edible and which ones are not. 

Can My Dog Eat Mushrooms? 

For the most part, mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat as long as you can accurately pinpoint the type and ensure it’s the edible kind. However, it is highly advised NOT to give your pup any mushrooms, especially wild ones. A slight error in judgment could result in irreversible consequences. 

Can Dogs Eat Wild Mushrooms? 

According to the National Capital Poison Center, wild mushrooms are NEVER safe to eat. Mushrooms that you find in parks or yards may seem small and unassuming, but you never know how deadly they are unless you’re an expert. You must always watch your four-legged friend when they’re outside to make sure they don’t eat any wild mushrooms.

What Wild Mushroom Types Are Toxic to Dogs? 

Only a small number of wild mushrooms are poisonous to dogs. However, such mushrooms can be extremely deadly to canines and are hard to distinguish from edible ones. Below are some of the most common toxic wild mushrooms:

  • Amanita phalloides 
  • Amanita gemmata
  • Amanita muscaria
  • Galerina marginata
  • Clitocybe dealbata
  • Gyromitra species
  • Inocybe species

What Are the Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs? 

Depending on the variety, dogs can experience different symptoms after eating toxic mushrooms. However, here are some of the usual signs of mushroom poisoning:

  • Jaundice
  • Salivation
  • Weakness
  • Staggering gait (Ataxia)
  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Liver failure
  • Seizures
  • Death

Treating Canine Mushroom Poisoning  

The key to treating mushroom poisoning is immediate hospitalization. The vet will usually give your dog activated charcoal orally to absorb any toxins that may still remain in their digestive tract. They might also induce vomiting or start fluid therapy to encourage urination. However, treatment may vary depending on the amount and kind of mushroom ingested. 

Can Dogs Eat Store-Bought Mushrooms?

Compared to wild mushrooms, the ones sold in markets and grocery stores are safe for both human and canine consumption. Fresh, organic mushrooms are the best option since they are guaranteed to be free of any unwanted toxins and pesticides. 

When Are Mushrooms Okay For Dogs To Eat? 

Feel free to feed your dog store-bought mushrooms, especially ones that are prepared plainly and without any additives. Cooking the mushrooms with oil or seasonings may sound delicious, but adding spices to your dog’s meals can harm their gastrointestinal tract. Try to avoid using additives, if you can.  

When Are Mushrooms Unsafe For Dogs?

Wild mushrooms are a big no-no for dogs. Given how these fungi can pop up anywhere, it’s important to always be on the lookout for mushrooms and keep your dog away from them at all times. Stray mushrooms, no matter how harmless they may look, must always be assumed to be unsafe. 

The Facts About Dogs and Mushrooms 

Is it safe for dogs to eat mushrooms? 

Most mushrooms, especially if cooked, are safe for dogs to eat as long as you exercise caution. Sticking to commercially-sold and organically-grown mushrooms greatly reduces the risk of poisoning, as well as limiting its portions. 

My dog ate a mushroom in the grass; what should I do? 

If you happen to be walking your pup in the park and you see them nibbling on a piece of mushroom off the ground, then your first priority should be taking them to the veterinarian. Unless you’re an expert in the field of mycology, you shouldn’t waste time trying to identify which mushroom it is. Just focus on getting your dog prompt treatment. 

Are mushrooms toxic to dogs?

Not all mushrooms are deadly for canines. In fact, 99% of recorded mushrooms are known to have little or no toxicity. However, the ones that do belong in the remaining 1% are said to cause severe reactions in dogs and may even result in death. 

If you wish to err on the side of caution, most veterinarians advise viewing ALL mushrooms as potentially harmful to your pup.

How to Identify Toxic Mushrooms 

What makes identifying toxic mushrooms such a difficult task is the fact that there is no concrete trait that distinguishes them from edible ones. However, one way to help rule out poisonous mushrooms is by checking if they have white gills or rings around the stem. Another tell-tale sign is a reddish hue on the cap or step, which often indicates toxicity. 

Dogs and Death Angel Mushrooms 

The Death Angel refers to a group of closely-related mushrooms belonging to the Amanita genus. Death Angels are said to be one of the most poisonous mushrooms in existence and account for the majority of deaths caused by mushroom poisoning. Amanita mushrooms emit a strong, fish-like smell that can be attractive to dogs, making them more dangerous to canines.  

What to Do if Your Dog Accidentally Eats a Wild Mushroom 

The number one course of action if you happen to see your dog eat a wild mushroom is to contact the vet as quickly as possible. Mushroom poisoning requires immediate medical attention, and the slightest delay could lead to severe complications.

How to Keep Your Dog from Eating Wild Mushrooms  

Limiting your dog’s access to mushrooms is the best way to prevent any shroom-related mishaps. You can do this by clearing out your garden for any signs of fungi. You can also keep treats with you every time you go on walks, so you’ll have something to divert your dog’s attention if you happen to run into any wild mushrooms.

Can dogs eat grocery store-bought mushrooms?

Purchasing from a grocery store is a great way to ensure that what you’re giving to your dog are safe and healthy mushrooms. Plain mushrooms are the way to go, either on their own as a treat or incorporated into your pup’s usual meal. 

References

Share