How CBD Oil Help Dogs And Cats From Joint Pain & mobility issues
Like any other vertebrate, dogs and cats have bones and joints that allow them to move around. And they also experience joint pain.
What is Joint Pain?
Joint pain is a condition that causes discomfort and pain on your pet’s joints due to many reasons.
Most of the time, joint pain is caused by injury damage to the ligaments and tendon that surround it. It can also be caused by various medical conditions such as arthritis, osteochondritis dissecans(OCD) and hip dysplasia.
It can either can last for a few weeks(acute) or be a long term problem(chronic) which can last for months and even years.
Signs of Joint Pain in Dogs and Cats
- Decreased activity – Dogs and cats who experience joint pain may appear less physically active than they normally are. It’s because even small movements can trigger joint pain on problematic areas.
To negate the pain, these animals compensate by moving less, lessening the chance of increased joint pain. Pets, when experiencing pain, avoid physical activities such as running and climbing stairs to avoid further pain.
- Uncharacteristic Gait – Pain can make your pets very uncomfortable. When joint pain gets too much for your dogs and cats to handle, they will become physically affected and limp when walking.
This is because the pain has gone to the point that it hinders your pet’s basic reflexes.
- Bad litterbox habits – Dogs and cats can be taught how to use litterboxes. However, when your pets act weird or hesitate in using the litterbox, this may be a sign of joint pain. This is because the movement and the different positions they have to perform might trigger pain. That’s why your pet may hesitate or have difficulties with the litterbox.
List of the Different Types of Joint and Mobility Problems in Dogs & Cats
- Arthritis – A progressive inflammation of the joint which causes pain and discomfort. It’s typically diagnosed in senior dogs and large breeds. While it cannot be cured, it can be prevented and delayed with proper treatment.
- Dysplasia – Joints work like a ball and a socket. Dysplasia happens when the two don’t develop properly and don’t fit perfectly. Because of this, the joints rub each other instead of moving smoothly, thus, damaging the joints.
- Age-related mobility problems – While old age does not always equate to mobility problems, senior dogs and cats are more prone to joint pain inducing problems because of the wear and tear that comes with it.
Scientific Research On CBD for Joints & Mobility Care
Cannabidiol(CBD) is a compound that is derived from hemp. Among the benefits people claim CBD to have is its potential to cure joint pain in animals.
Hemp can be toxic for dog but that’s because of its high tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) content. CBD, on the other hand, is completely safe for them.
While many people are still skeptical about CBD’s good effects, many studies show that it can help cure many diseases that cause joint pain.
In a study done by the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, 58 patients suffering from joint pain were given a hemp-based medicine(CBM) called Sativex for 5 weeks. The medicine gave the patients an analgesic effect and it limited the disease’s progress.
In another study by Philpott HT, CBD was administered to rats suffering from ostheoarthritis. The results were impressive, with joint pain and joint inflammation being significantly decreased.
These studies, however small, show the therapeutic effects of CBD and the need for bigger studies in the future to explore the benefits of using CBD oil for dogs.
Mobility for Pets
Joint pain in dogs and cats can be caused by different issues, but whatever the root cause, the healing process can be helped by using CBD oil. Among the good effects of CBD oils on mobility are:
- It lessens inflammation – Whether it’s due to disease, injury, or infection, joint inflammation can cause serious discomfort. Pets suffering from this are typically given nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(NSAIDs), which has serious side effects especially for aging pets and those with a compromised immune system.
- It helps overall pain management – Pain, in any living organism, is bad. It damages the quality of life. Due to the CBD’s painkilling benefits, your pet can experience a more wonderful life.
- Less pain medication – Opioids and NSAIDS are the typical pain medication for dogs and cats. These can cause bad side effects especially in huge doses. CBD oil can negate these effects, as it’s observed to enhance the activity of the said medications.
- It can prevent mobility issues – CBD oil is useful in lessening joint inflammation, because of this, it prevents the condition from getting worse. This is good especially for aging dogs who have a bigger chance of developing mobility issues.
Can CBD Oil Help Dogs & Cats with Joint Pain?
CBD is only effective for living organisms with an endocannabinoid system(ECS). Luckily, the system, which was first scientifically observed in humans in the 1990s, is also present in dogs and cats.
The endocannabinoid system works with enzymes, receptors, and transmitters to help regulate pain management, metabolism, immunity, anxiety, and many more bodily functions.
Because dogs and cats also have an ECS, they can also experience the benefits that CBD oil offers.
If your pet suffers from mobility issues and joint pain, CBD oil can be given to suffering pets by applying it on the affected areas. For the right dosage- You can check out our CBD Dosage chart for more information.
How to Find Quality CBD Oil for Dogs & Cats
If you think your dog and cat needs CBD oil treatment, make sure that it’s the right one for your pet:
- Make sure it’s for your dog or cat – It’s important that you pick a product that’s specifically designed for your pet. Avoid products which contain flavoring or special scents as these may have chemicals that are harmful for your pet.
- Go organic – Refined hemp oil may have substances used in industrial hemp farming such as herbicides and pesticides, which can cause bad effects when consumed by both animals and humans.
- Go for tested products – You can make sure of the CBD oil’s quality by verifying if it has undergone sufficient testing. While most products will be tested by its producer, look for third party tests just to be sure that the product isn’t compromised.
What causes cancer in dogs
What causes cancer in dogs is a good question